After fighting a number of uphill battles trying to burn subtitles for DCPs in a half-way convenient manner, we finally decided it was time to build our own solution. Which we then put on GitHub, for you to play with – and hopefully come back with some good feedback or your own forks with massive improvements. (I still can’t get my head around the fact that After Effects offers no native way to import subtitles – but then again, it also still does not group image sequences in the open dialogue, so…)
Anyway, you can find the source and instructions here: https://github.com/908video/DCSubToAE
The script is released under the GPLv2 license.
As of now (v0.10), Interop/DCSubtitle XML, TimeXML and SRT files are supported. Other formats, especially XML based ones, can be implemented pretty easily as well.