Increasing your scene file’s version number is something you (hopefully) do often. The built in version isn’t as flexible as I’d like, so… here you go.
You can add this Python script to your shelf and then, through the magic of pushing a button, save your currently open scene to the next version.
The script follows these rules:
- retain padding (file001 will become file002)
- increment only last occurrence (file1_v01 will become file1_v02)
- increment also within filename (file01_edit will become file02_edit)
- append versioning if there is none (file will become file_001)
- do not overwrite but skip existing versions (file_001 will become file_003 if file_002 exists)
You can find it on Github: https://github.com/flipswitchingmonkey/fsm_vexnstuff